Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes.


Sunday Sfternoon I was at my sister's house, some family was in from out of town for a quick visit and we met up there. Griffin, my almost 5 year old nephew, was unusually quiet, in fact he spent much of the visit playing in his room. After we had all gone he continued to play alone in his room until my sister asked if he wanted to go to the store with her. On the way ther he asked her if she wanted to know what was bothering him (this is so Griffin), of course she said yes. He shared with her that he had heard us talking about our brother and that made him think of his brother ( who died before Griffin was born) and he was sad because he wanted to play with him, and he wanted to just go to heaven too so that they could play together. my sister assured him that his brother would be waiting in heaven to play with him, and tht he was not alone. While Griffin does not understand that if he goes to heaven he would not be here with us, he knows that he just wants to be able to play with the brother that he only knows in his heart.

What struck me about this was, perhaps i don't always appreciate the relationships that I have. i expect a lot from the people I love. I need to take a lesson from Griffin and realize that people may not always be what I expect, at least I have them here to love and to "play" with.

Take time today to tell someone you love them, slow down and just listen without expectations, you might jsut se something new that was there all along. And remember that the little ones in our life can make wonderful, unfiltered observations of the world around us and it would do all of us good to listen!

1 comments:

Our Crooked Tree said...

OMG! That breaks my heart. I remember when Beau was in the hospital with her hernia, Gannon cried and cried (he was only 18 months at the time); he just wanted to be with brother.

 
Simply Yours Designs: Cute Blog Designs